It seems these days that couples who have even just one date must put a label on what it is that they have together. Are they in a serious, committed relationship? Is this relationship headed somewhere such as marriage? Maybe they are just a couple of people going out together to do something that they both enjoy. There is really no way to know for sure what sort of relationship exists between two people who appear to enjoy spending time together. Many people cannot stand not having a label put upon connections between couples. After all, it might just be that two people have fun doing things that they have in common. It does not mean that their connection needs to be labeled.
There are reasons that no label dating is a good thing to do. If you are seeing someone who you enjoy spending time with and gradually grow together in a romantic way; that may be the time to tell others of your intentions. This is, without a doubt, labeling your relationship. On the other hand, there are a few reasons that labeling a relationship is not a great thing to do, at least until you are certain of what that label should be.
- A very good reason for not labeling your relationship, especially doing it too early, is that you go from just hanging out as friends to testing what connection the two of you have. Officially dating someone seems to change everything because the relationship becomes a test. For instance, you may never have concerned yourself with thoughts about clothing. Once the relationship has been labeled, you are suddenly questioning how you dress or how your partner dresses. There are other things that come out once a couple puts a label on their relationship. Enjoy the newness of the connection before labeling it in some way.
- Before labeling, things are done totally by what mood you are in at the time. Once a label is attached, you may start wondering if it is a bad sign that you are not holding hands as often. Something so simple to figure out previously has you questioning if it is going to hurt their feelings if you want to go home alone.
- Labeling a relationship can cause you to have expectations of whether or not it will last. It can also make you very disappointed when things do not work.
- Something that you should be aware of is how your feelings are going to be affected with a relationship label. Your emotions need to be able to evolve at their own pace. The reason for that is you might begin by feeling an intense attraction for someone, and then realize after a short period of time, that the compatibility needed to maintain a relationship is just not there. It is more difficult to backtrack if you have labeled your relationship as romantic too soon.
- Expect your close friends and relatives to be nosy once you label your relationship. There will be a constant barrage of questions such as your exclusivity or when you are getting married.
- It is completely normal to feel nervous when it comes to labeling your relationship and does not mean that it is doomed to fail. On the other hand, if you prematurely label it, you might find yourself asking for some time alone. This sets you up for failure, whereas if you are taking things slow, it is perfectly acceptable to take a few days for some “me time.”. Besides, if you never are apart, there is not the chance to miss each other.
- Referring to someone as your “main squeeze” while shutting down other options too quickly can have you paired with someone who is not the best fit for you. Obviously, labeling a relationship too soon can bring about all sorts of issues later that you might want to avoid.
- Some people feel that labels can create delusions of sort. Once you apply a label to a relationship, you have an idea of what you want from it, but that idea may not be based in reality. Things can become a bit dangerous anytime that reality is twisted if both parties are not on the same page. It can take some time to actually work out if this is true, so it is always better to get to know each other before attaching a label your relationship. This is where communication is vital. By communicating, each of you has the chance to know what the expectations are of this relationship.
In the end, if you just allow things to flow as they are meant to do, you have a much better chance of enjoying a successful and happy relationship. It is fine to use labels if that is what you both want. Just remember to keep the communication going and the results will likely be what you have always dreamed you will have.